Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tiqui-tiqui-ti

The US Census recorded 8,573 people of Chilean origin in Los Angeles County, of which 3,000 live in the San Fernando Valley.

The Chilean day of independence is September 18th. Chile Independence day festivities were held last Sunday in Woodland Hills (some years the celebration is held in Reseda) but I was unable to be in attendence (as I was informed two days too late). But lucky for me,  today I went for lunch at my local Chilean restaurant.


In a new strip-style plaza at Canoga and Sherman Way is Chilenazo,

which -in typical LA fashion- is alongside businesses from other cultures (in this case a Brazilian restaurant

 and a Filipino restaurant).


It's also conviently located next to a Metro Orange Line station.


The restaurant was packed, with many families and couples eating as well as many large take-out orders for celebrations elsewhere. Chilean flags and colors decorated the pleasant but cramped cafe.

I ordered pollo a la parilla con arroz y ensalada verde (lime chicken with rice and salad with green beans and celery).
I also had to try their empanadas (in this case mozzarella and shrimp).

For dessert I had mil hojas, a layered sweet flaky pastry topped in crushed walnuts.

I was very satisfied even if I was only able to partake in the culinary immersion of Chile, and missed the festival.

In a place such as Los Angeles County, where 3.5 million people (36%) of the population is of Mexican descent, it is often easy to overlook the other Latino cultures present in LA. This would be a mistake, and I'm very excited to explore every culture in this metropolitan area, and be satisfied one culture at a time.

P.S. tiqui tiqui ti is a popular song/dance Chileans have for September 18th Independence day.

No comments:

Post a Comment